Skip to main content

Trivia! Termites are Attracted to Music!



Okay, I just thought that we needed some trivia today and so I re-posted this fun article from my Triond account. Now, fire!

You must be very curious and your eyebrows are crossed right now, I suppose, if termites are attracted to music. Well, yes, but let me explain further. I've done a little research and I hope that I answered in a very scientific way.

What are Termites?
Let me quote from the Wikipedia chuvaness:
Termites are a group of eusocial insects that, until recently, were classified at the taxonomic rankof order Isoptera, but are now accepted as the epifamily Termitoidae, of the cockroach order Blattodea. While termites are commonly known, especially in Australia, as "white ants," they are only distantly related to the ants.
Like ants, some bees, and wasps—which are all placed in the separate order Hymenoptera—termites divide labour among castes, produce overlapping generations and take care of young collectively. Termites mostly feed on dead plant material, generally in the form of wood, leaf litter, soil, or animal dung, and about 10 percent of the estimated 4,000 species (about 2,600 taxonomically known) are economically significant as pests that can cause serious structural damage to buildings, crops or plantation forests. Termites are major detritivores, particularly in thesubtropical and tropical regions, and their recycling of wood and other plant matter is of considerable ecological importance.

Okay, nosebleed to that explanation. Let's get some easy explanation in here. LOL!

Are termites attracted to music?

The answer is YES! However, here’s the deal.

Termites are not attracted to music per se, it’s the vibration that the music is making. The fact is, termites don’t hear nor see. Their behavior are based upon what we call pheromone.

I looked up for the meaning of this online and here’s what I got.

Pheromone is a chemical secreted by an animal, especially an insect that influences the behavior. In this light, termites are insects and they secrete pheromones.

Now, let’s highlight the word “influences the behavior” from the pheromone definition.

Since termites don’t hear or see, music influences their behavior from the vibration they feel which the music is making. They are affected by it by munching twice as fast as you play them loud music. Why? It’s because loud music creates thumping vibration. As long as it’s loud especially rock music, it makes termites eager to eat as long as they feel the thumping. You see, vibration can manipulate them into eating fast depending on the vibration that music creates.

You may wonder, what if you play them soft music such as ballad. What could it do to them?

Well, as long as music creates vibration, termites’ eating behavior is affected. Logic is, the faster the vibration they feel, the faster they eat.

Here are some other trivial facts I gathered from the web.

  • Termites have been around since the time of the dinosaurs!
  • Termite colonies eat non-stop, 24 hours a day, seven days a week!
  • Termites have wings that they shed once they have found a good place to build a nest.
  • Termites cause up to $2 billion in damage per year!
  • All Termites are social insectsand raise their young as a group.
  • The total weight of all of the termites in the world is more than the weight of all the humans in the world.
  • So, double check your houses or your music room’s wall or furniture that is made of wood. You might take this fact into consideration to keep away termites from your home.
Photobucket

Comments

  1. oh, i didn't know about that. thanks for the trivia!

    It’s a GIRL Thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing this trivia, teh! very informational, pero basta ang alam ko, yang mga termites na yan, yan ang umubos ng diploma ko! as in kabago bago ng College diploma ko fresh na fresh, tinago ko sa cabinet ko, after ilang months nung kelangan ko na, pag tingin ko yung outside paper na lang ang nandun, at ni anino ng diploma ko hindi ko na nakita. nasa tyan na pala nung mga puting anay na yan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! Pano mo nagamit ung mga diploma moh? Naku talagang mga anay yan ano? Teka, mahilig ka yata kasing magsoundtrip ng malakas kaya ayun, nainspire silang lamutakin ang diploma mo. LOL!

      Delete
  3. Very informative... Basta what I know about termites.... I HATE THEM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting! I am thinking of checking every corner of the house we are renting. My hubby and I play music everyday and loudly, too, baka hindi namin alam, the termites have attacked na without us knowing it :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello there! Leave me some messages and I'll definitely reply on your blogs as well! Have fun!

Popular posts from this blog

My Wedding Dress

Hello everyone! Since I ran out of topics to blog about, I resorted to a thinking that I'd be blogging about everything that happened to my wedding, just recently (June 2011). From the things and needs that I bought, photos, to the memorabilias that I treasure. I hope you bear with me. Hihi! So here, I started it with my wedding dress! To refresh my memories, I bought this wedding gown on the month of my wedding already. It was 2 weeks before my big day! All I heard from my loved ones was blame because I haven't prioritized it but come on! It's because I was too busy planning everything. Huhu. ;( So, after several fittings in Divisoria,  here's what I liked the most. It could be very simple but it struck my heart when I tried it on. Well, you can tell since I'm a simple woman. This wedding dress is made from a pure white silk cloth and fine linings. There's not much design on it but I like how those sequins were sewn perfectly on top. With this wh

Valentine's Dinner Date

My hubby and I had an early Valentines dinner date which was last Sunday night. He always hate traffic which is expected on that sweet day. And so, he thought of having dinner with me earlier at Don Henrico's along Midtown Plaza! I was like grinning in excitement to taste this 14" pizza! I'm a pizza lover and my hubby exactly knows that. We also chose this special spot where there is this dim light so it looked even more romantic. Sorry, I only had taken a picture of the pizza for too much excitement to bite a slice. See that moved slice already? I was grabbing one when I remembered to take picture. And that couple in front of us wearing those exact same tshirt is an evidence that Valentines Day could be anytime! So fun! Just a very wise decision you two. You did the right thing of dating earlier just as we did! Linking with:  

Tagaytay Travel

Last two weeks ago, we had this 3-day conference for church workers in Manila Area which was held at CCT Tagaytay Retreat and Training Center - a fellowship/seminar/conference for the United Methodist Church workers. My husband, who is a Chinese pastor and I, a church musician, went and had the best experience there. We had the most and respectable speakers and lecturers who came and pastors from North Georgia were also present. Good thing that we were there and it was an awesome place! Not to mention the perfect cold weather that comforted us to sleep on those two nights. Since this Retreat and Training Center is new, which only started operating on June of last year, our church thought of doing our activity there. They had every facilities ready and of full service when we arrived. Almost a thousand delegates came and were happy of the venue! This training center is actually a project of Christian churches and organizations who thought of establishing this beautiful place and I mu