Skip to main content

Chinese New Year Celebration at Church

It's my first time to have celebrated Chinese New Year with the Chinese Congregation which is of course with my husband who is pastoring the said congregation. And I must say that it's fun! I admired how they celebrated it with Chinese traditions during this festive season.

Here are the events that happened today:

1. We worshiped together in the chapel and had invited a speaker to join us. Our worship was filled with Chinese worship songs and praises for the Lord.

2. Right after the service, we proceeded to the 2nd floor to where we held our lunch fellowship. The Mamas cooked shabu-shabu, the others brought food with them for us to share with. The most enjoyable part was when we made our own dumplings and cooked them by ourselves too! The many you make, the many you eat! Haha! And who forgets to eat Tikoy during Chinese New Year? Definitely, not us!

3. And ta-dah! The most awaited part is the giving and receiving of Hong Pao (ampaw)! Married and elders prepared hongpaos for the kids and single persons. They lined up to be given one each with words saying, "Xin Nian Kuai Le" (Happy New Year) Hong Pao Na Lai (Give Me My Ampaw) Xie Xie (Thank you).

Since I'm already married, I had to give away hongpaos but I received one anyway (as a prize) because I had eaten dumplings with crabsticks in it! - which is a little game from our eating fellowship. Nine other members were also given their prizes. Too bad that I had no camera with me so I missed to take pictures but I'll be grabbing some from the members soon when they upload them on facebook.

So there! I enjoyed every bit of our little celebration in church with of course honoring God as the center of it. It's not about luck and wealth but it's about God's faithfulness, blessings and guidance for Chinese Christians and for everybody. Not only this year but in the years and years to come. It's the year of the LORD 2012!

Once again, Xin Nian Kuai Le!

My share for KM's meme:


Photobucket

Comments

  1. You gotta appreciate the culture of the Chinese. But there are some logic to their traditions that can be relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uy Kuya, kamusta na? Well, sa totoo lang, I'm still in a lot of discussions pa din about the Chinese traditions. In practical way of life, yes, they are very relevant, but in the Christian way of life, for me, honestly, may mga practices na kailangang tanggalin. I still believe that only God can make us prosperous. Since pastor ang asawa ko, Chinese pa, eh he's trying to still celebrate their new year in a Christian way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. natuwa naman ako sa sinabi mo jan sa comment, Rona :) Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Xin Nian Kuai Le Sis! Hehehe

    Bongga talaga ang celebration ng Chinese New Year...

    Dalaw dito para suporta sa iyo...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ning! As for me naman gaya ng reply ko sayo sa home blog ko na medyo napahaba din (lol), i have nothing against celebrating Chinese New Year, though hindi ako ganun ka particular dyan. Minsan kasi we have to join to show our respect for our Chinese brothers and sisters or others who have the same faith. In fairness, madami sa Chinese beliefs ang may valid grounds. But then, your faith is your faith. God should be in the center of our life but to respect others and understand their culture won't hurt. :) cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do appreciate that Krizza. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion and views naman talaga. Anyway, thanks also for understanding that this is my faith. To clear, I'm not trying to judge the way Chinese people's practices, it's just purely my opinion and my expression of faith. God bless us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *judging the practices of Chinese people. (hihi mali pa)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an inspiring and happy celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. pde makisali sa usapan?

    I think kasi ung Celebration of Chinese New Year is more of a cultural thing rather than a religious thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,

    ang ganda pla ng tradition tlga nila ha...ang alam ko lang is ampaw kasi dati kong manager is chinese.Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Chinese New Year to you Sis, hope the New Year will bring you more luck and happiness :-) Visiting from Happiness is, hope that you can return the visit too.

    http://www.mommies2ks.com/2012/01/first-day-of-pre-k.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. i like chinese new year! i got a lot of ampaw when I was in taiwan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a happy celebration indeed. never experienced a chinese new year. buti ka pa. :) sensya na, late visit sa ako sa Happiness is...#3.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello there! Leave me some messages and I'll definitely reply on your blogs as well! Have fun!

Popular posts from this blog

My Wedding Dress

Hello everyone! Since I ran out of topics to blog about, I resorted to a thinking that I'd be blogging about everything that happened to my wedding, just recently (June 2011). From the things and needs that I bought, photos, to the memorabilias that I treasure. I hope you bear with me. Hihi! So here, I started it with my wedding dress! To refresh my memories, I bought this wedding gown on the month of my wedding already. It was 2 weeks before my big day! All I heard from my loved ones was blame because I haven't prioritized it but come on! It's because I was too busy planning everything. Huhu. ;( So, after several fittings in Divisoria,  here's what I liked the most. It could be very simple but it struck my heart when I tried it on. Well, you can tell since I'm a simple woman. This wedding dress is made from a pure white silk cloth and fine linings. There's not much design on it but I like how those sequins were sewn perfectly on top. With this wh

Valentine's Dinner Date

My hubby and I had an early Valentines dinner date which was last Sunday night. He always hate traffic which is expected on that sweet day. And so, he thought of having dinner with me earlier at Don Henrico's along Midtown Plaza! I was like grinning in excitement to taste this 14" pizza! I'm a pizza lover and my hubby exactly knows that. We also chose this special spot where there is this dim light so it looked even more romantic. Sorry, I only had taken a picture of the pizza for too much excitement to bite a slice. See that moved slice already? I was grabbing one when I remembered to take picture. And that couple in front of us wearing those exact same tshirt is an evidence that Valentines Day could be anytime! So fun! Just a very wise decision you two. You did the right thing of dating earlier just as we did! Linking with:  

Tagaytay Travel

Last two weeks ago, we had this 3-day conference for church workers in Manila Area which was held at CCT Tagaytay Retreat and Training Center - a fellowship/seminar/conference for the United Methodist Church workers. My husband, who is a Chinese pastor and I, a church musician, went and had the best experience there. We had the most and respectable speakers and lecturers who came and pastors from North Georgia were also present. Good thing that we were there and it was an awesome place! Not to mention the perfect cold weather that comforted us to sleep on those two nights. Since this Retreat and Training Center is new, which only started operating on June of last year, our church thought of doing our activity there. They had every facilities ready and of full service when we arrived. Almost a thousand delegates came and were happy of the venue! This training center is actually a project of Christian churches and organizations who thought of establishing this beautiful place and I mu